How the Industry is Extending Responsible Practices to New Types of Gaming
In this episode of The Stories Behind the Bet, Philip James and Bill Miller discuss the importance of responsible gaming as sports betting becomes more streamlined in the industry, and what the American Gaming Association is doing to ensure its Code of Conduct fits the bill.
The current President and CEO of the AGA, Bill Miller has spent more than three decades representing business interests in Washington, D.C. He was the Senior Vice President of the Business Roundtable, a Partner at international corporate communications firm Brunswick, and a lobbyist, leading the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Political Affairs and Federal Relations efforts. There, Miller acted as the National Political Director. From 1994 to 1999, Miller served as Chief of Staff to Maryland Representative Constance A. Morella.
In each of these positions, he advocated for the business community, a passion that he’s still able to realize at the AGA. Miller holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Maryland and a law degree from American University.
In this episode, the following topics are discussed:
- Bill Miller Introduction
- A snapshot of the AGA’s Code of Conduct
- The distinction between “gaming” and “gambling”
- Code of Conduct for sports wagering post-PASPA
- Why people should commit to responsible gaming
- Interactions between the industry and sports leagues
- Learning from Europe’s/the UK’s cautionary tales
- Responsible gaming marketing in the next five years
- Overview of the AGA’s world
- The industry as a good community partner
- Final thoughts
- The American Gaming Association
- Responsible Gaming Week
- AGA’s Code of Conduct
- States who have legalized sports betting
- NFL deal with the AGA
- MGM at Fenway Park
- BBC: “Teenagers bombarded by gambling ads ask for help”
- Economic benefits of sports betting
- Responsible Marketing Code for Sports Wagering
The No Line Podcast
The best bet is the responsible one!
The No Line Podcast is dedicated to sharing stories about those leading the gaming industry forward — making it better, making it more responsible.
Interested in being a guest or sharing your organization’s “responsible” story?
Contact Philip Beere at email@example.com or visit the website at www.nolinepodcast.com
Philip is the Head of Creative and Partnerships at PJ Media. He is Head of Marketing for Gaming Analytics. Previously he was Head of Marketing for Sightline Payments and Play+. He is the Founder of the subscription-based marketing platform for doctors, www.rfamd.com.
As the Host of the No Line Podcast, Philip enjoys sharing stories about those leading the industry forward toward responsible gaming. He also hosts the podcasts, Corporate Sustainability and Doctor Thyroid.
Connect with Philip
PJ Media is a marketing agency located in Las Vegas, Nevada — offering 360° services for companies serving the gaming industry.